Well, you knew it had to happen.
Some folks belong to the conspiracy of the week club, and of course to them nothing the US government does is anything BUT a lie to cover up whatever their favorite story-teller wants to feed them about the government’s true intention.
So naturally, according to the various tale-merchants, Osama bin Laden didn’t die last weekend in a US raid, he:
- was captured in Abbotabad, Pakistan and is being tortured and interrogated somewhere in Afghanistan
- was killed sometime after 9-11 and befpre 2007
- was killed even before 9-11 and his body was frozen so it could be used at some convenient time (like now)
- was a CIA operative who was used to justify the invasion of Afghanistan (this one is a favorite of those who like to claim George W. Bush ordered the 9-11 attacks
- is in a safe house somewhere in the Brazilian rain-forest with Elvis where they have struck up an amiable odd-couple relationship, complete with spirited weekly games of mah-jongg and long conversations over Corona ale about the good old days
I made up one of those above. Guess which one!
There are so many conspiracy theories out there about a hundred different things, so many that it is impossible to keep track of them all. And most of them wildly contradict each other. And they all pretty much contradict common sense.
There are undoubtedly a few horrible truths out there that are covered up by government secrecy of one sort or another. But the death of Osama bin Laden on May 2, 2011 in Abbottabad, Pakistan is so sufficiently well-attested, that I don’t think anyone with a brain can doubt it.